Chico Personal Injury Lawyers
Free Consultations in English & Spanish
When recovering from a personal injury, many unforeseen expenses can materialize. For example, you may require months of medical treatment and therapies, making it difficult for you to maintain a normal lifestyle. Similarly, repairing property damage can be expensive. It could be months before your property is fully mended, and restoration costs are usually steep enough to hurt your finances.
However, it is possible for you to afford proper treatment and retain your current standard of living. An experienced attorney can help you file a personal injury claim and secure a strong financial settlement. At Peters, Habib, McKenna, Juhl-Rhodes & Cardoza, LLP, we understand the magnitude of your situation and can use the law to benefit your case.
Our Chico personal injury attorneys have helped countless injured individuals and their families for decades and are ready to apply our knowledge to your case. When you call us, you’re not just getting help from an attorney – you’re accessing our entire database of knowledge and resources from all the attorneys in our firm that can help you succeed in your case.
Personal Injury Law Practice Areas
The attorneys at Peters, Habib, McKenna, Juhl-Rhodes & Cardoza, LLP focus on a wide variety of personal injury cases. They include:
- Automobile accidents: The most common personal injury cases involve car accidents, bicycle accidents, commercial vehicle accidents, motorcycle accidents, and pedestrian accidents.
- Wrongful death: After a fatal accident, the family of the deceased can file a wrongful death suit and claim damages for their loss. It is typically the spouse, children, or parents of the deceased who can make this claim.
- Catastrophic injuries: A catastrophic injury is defined as the physical consequences of an accident that prevents you from fulfilling gainful employment. Examples of a catastrophic injury include severe burns, head trauma, and spinal cord disorders.
- Workplace accidents: While you expect your workplace to be safe, accidents are inevitable. Construction accidents, accidents on unsafe premises, slip and fall accidents, and defective products are all examples of personal injury cases that pertain to the workplace.
What Does a Personal Injury Lawyer Do?
A personal injury attorney can serve as an essential ally for those who have suffered a Chico personal injury due to the negligence of others. These experienced injury lawyers guide you through the complexities of the legal process, advocating on your behalf against insurance companies and at-fault parties. They strive to ensure your rights are protected and that you receive fair compensation for the injuries and losses you've sustained.
Services provided by personal injury attorneys include:
- Case Evaluation: They provide a thorough analysis of your case, determining its merit and estimating the potential compensation based on the extent of harm and negligence involved.
- Investigation: They conduct an in-depth investigation, gathering all necessary evidence including accident reports, medical records, and witness testimonies.
- Representation in Court: If your case proceeds to trial, they represent you in court, presenting compelling arguments to ensure you receive the justice you deserve.
- Negotiation: They negotiate with the insurance company or the at-fault party to secure the best possible settlement for you.
- Legal Guidance: They offer legal advice throughout the process, helping you understand your rights and the various legal options available to you.
- Documentation: They handle all paperwork related to your case, ensuring all legal requirements are met and deadlines are adhered to.
- Emotional Support: They provide moral and emotional support during this difficult time, understanding the physical and emotional trauma that clients often undergo following a personal injury.
How Long You Have to File a Personal Injury Claim in California
According to the California Code of Civil Procedure section 335.1 the statute of limitations for personal injury cases in the state of California is two years. This means you have two years from the date your injury was inflicted to file or you risk losing your ability to do so along with your ability to pursue compensation.
Please note, exceptions that can shorten or extend this two year time period do exist so it’s important you speak to an experienced attorney about the specifics of your case as soon as you can. Call today to learn about the rights and limitations of your case!
Most Common Personal Injury Claims
There are many types of accidental injuries, some of which leave a lasting impact on people’s lives. A personal injury claim depends on the type of injury.
The most common personal injury claims are as follows:
Car Accident Claims
Slip and Fall Accidents
Gun-Related Assault Injuries
Why Hire an Attorney for a Personal Injury Claim?
Although it is tempting to forgo legal representation, there are areas where a Chico injury attorney can be helpful. For instance, many smaller personal injury claims are handled out of court. A lawsuit is never filed, and instead a settlement is reached.
If you are handling this yourself, then you might make a demand too soon and weaken your settlement offer. Alternatively, the insurance company may try to persuade you that a low offer is the best that you can receive.
An attorney knows to refrain from making demands until the client reaches maximum medical improvement (MMI). MMI occurs when the plaintiff has ended medical treatment and physically improved as much as possible. Until you have reached MMI, it is impossible for your attorney to know how much to demand when making a claim. It is difficult to predict future expenses, and waiting for MMI takes the guessing out of the process.
Even if you have experience with personal injury law, a good attorney is an objective intermediary who will examine all aspects of your case. By hiring our personal injury lawyers in Chico, CA, your case can be evaluated based on the appropriate legal standards.
We have experience analyzing accident reports, bills, and medical records, along with conducting client interviews designed to collect as much information as possible. By conducting a client interview, our attorneys will have a better picture of the case and can create a legal strategy designed to produce a positive outcome.
Talking with our attorneys can demystify the legal process and help you to understand what you may be able to recover by filing a claim. Car accidents, workplace accidents, and wrongful deaths can be expensive once medical bills start to pile up and you’ve missed work.
As an older law firm with more than 125 years of service, we’ve been able to work on all kinds of cases and recover the following damages for the injured:
- Medical bills, including the costs of hospital stays, surgeries, medications, medical equipment, physical therapy, and more
- Lost wages or future earning capacity, or lost income if a loved one passed away
- Property damage
- Burial and funeral expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of companionship
While there are many types of personal injury claims, they each place a significant burden on your emotional, financial, and physical health.
Our Chico personal injury lawyers understand California injury law and recognize the importance of procuring a fair financial settlement. Although having an attorney may seem like a luxury, he or she will give you peace of mind by protecting your long-term future.
Suffered an injury in an accident? Don’t hesitate to schedule your free consultation by calling our Chico personal injury attorneys today at (530) 342-3593. We can address your concerns and make you feel at ease about the legal process.
My outcome was best case scenario- Leslie W.
So pleased with the outcome- Leanna H.
Thank you!- Adam G.
We are eternally grateful- Mikhail P.
Highly recommend!- Lindsi D.
$3,000,000 Construction Injury
Settlement on catastrophic construction site injury case for the policy limits of 3 million dollars. This hard-fought case was led by partners James McKenna and Lia Juhl-Rhodes.
$1,500,000 Mobilehome Park Case
Settlement for 19-unit mobile-home park for 1.5 million based upon violations of leases, mobilehome residency law, construction defect, and breach of habitability.
Big Victory for Local Governments Municipal Cases
City of Oroville vs Superior Court of Butte County, on August 15, 2019, lead attorneys for the City of Oroville, Mark A. Habib and Lia M. Juhl-Rhodes, from the law firm of Peters, Habib, McKenna, Juhl-Rhodes & Cardoza, LLP won a landmark inverse condemnation case in the California Supreme Court.
Acquittal of Misdemeanor Criminal Defense
Partner Anthony Cardoza represented a client who faced the charge of a misdemeanor count of spousal battery under Penal Code section 243(e)(1).
Clearance of Felony Criminal Defense
Partner Anthony Cardoza led a two-day jury trial representing a defendant who faced a felony count of assault with a deadly weapon, namely a vehicle.
Gun Rights Protected Criminal Defense
Partner Anthony Cardoza won a court trial in which the Government was attempting through a civil restraining order process to take a citizen’s gun rights away.
Clearance of Felony Criminal Defense
Partner Anthony Cardoza represented a client in Butte County charged with Felony Driving Under the Influence causing injury.
Not Guilty Criminal Defense
Partner Anthony Cardoza represented a client who faced felony charges of Domestic Violence and False Imprisonment.
Millions For Mobilehome Clients Mobilehome
Our firm has obtained millions of dollars for Mobilehome Park residents, representing hundreds of clients/residents to obtain money damages on their behalf. (This statement does not constitute a guarantee or prediction of results in any case)